Ernest

Ernest
This is Ernest. He's a Wild Hairy Haggis.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Settling In

Well, it’s been a couple of weeks and Ernest has settled in nicely.


Although, on the first day home I made the mistake of telling my mum that Ernest was coming for dinner. She misunderstood me and, well…

We’d rather not talk about it, really.

Ahem… Now that mum understands that he’s here to stay, he’s been given chores to do. Every day he feeds the cat and gets the mail.


Of course, after a long day like that, Ernest enjoys long bath (Sorry for the nudity) and a snuggle with his teddy bear.

On the fourth or fifth day we almost had an incident. You see, Ernest wanted to see my family tartan, so we went and got my brother’s old kilt. It was all going fine until I noticed the sporran.

In case you didn’t know, a sporran is worn by Scottish men on a belt around the waist. It’s a leather pouch lined with fur, not a man-purse. Anyway, the important part here is that it’s made of Haggis leather, which is why there are (Usually) three tassels hanging from it.


Right, well there we were, looking at the kilt when I spot the sporran. I make a grab for it before Ernest has a chance to see it; it was lucky for me that he was so interested in my brother’s Sgian Dubh (It’s a decorative dagger, okay?). Now I’m stuck trying to hide the sporran from Ernest, not an easy feat. So, when he wasn’t looking, I did the only thing I could. I ran to the washroom, yelling to Ernest over my shoulder,

“Trust me, it’s an emergency!”

No comments: